Let’s make paper bag puppets today with this fun paper bag craft idea and put on a fun puppet show! Making paper bag puppets is a classic paper craft that has stood the test of time. Our version of papberbag puppets is accessorized with yarn hair and big googly eyes and is a fun craft for kids of all ages.
Making Classic Paper Bag Puppets
Paper bag puppets are easy to make with a few simple supplies you already have at home like markers, yarn, paper, ribbons, leftover scrapbook and colored paper, googly eyes and buttons, they’re a great kids craft project any time.
- A paper bag puppet is a fun craft and perfect for pretend play.
- Kids can play by themselves with the hand puppets, with a friend or sibling or even with a group of friends.
- Kids can make their paper bag puppets to look like themselves and their friends or make imaginary friends to play with…that aren’t so imaginary!
- This makes this craft great for preschool as an ice breaker on the first day.
This article contains affiliate links.
Paper Bag Puppet Craft for Kids
Supplies Needed for Puppet from a Paper Bag Craft
Directions to Make Paper Bag Puppets
Start by making the paper bag puppet’s face. Making the faces is the fun part!
Puppet Hair Ideas
Let your kids use glue and yarn to create hair. They can make pig tails by tying several yarn strands together with a piece of ribbon.
To make this spiked hair cut (my boys liked this one). Simply cut yarn into short strands and glue to the top of the bag. Remember, decorating is part of the fun, so let them have a ball!
Puppet Facial Features Ideas
Cheeks can be make using markers or pink crayon, I have used circles I cut from pink construction paper. Medium pom poms make great noses, and googly eyes will finish off the face.
Look for the googly eyes with lashes for girl puppets! <–you can find that HERE
Next we are making clothes for our paper bag puppets. Dressing them up is just as fun as giving their face some character.
Use scrapbook paper to create simple clothes, ribbon makes great collar trim!
Once the clothes are glued in place, trim off the excess, being careful not to cut the bag.
If you like making puppets from bags, try my paper bag frog puppet with the kids!
- Paper lunch bag
- Construction paper and/or scrapbook paper
- Googly eyes
- Pom pom
- glue stick
- scissors or preschool training scissors
- craft glue
- Start by creating the paper bag puppet’s face and hair on the bottom of the folded paper bag. Use yarn attached with glue for hair and accessorize with ribbons or give the hair a cut! Create eyes with markers or googly eyes, cheeks with markers or construction paper circles glued onto the bottom of the bag and make a pom pom nose.
- Next dress the paper bag puppets with construction paper and scrapbook paper shirts and pants.
What is a paper bag puppet?
A paper bag puppet is a simple puppet made from a paper bag and other materials such as construction paper, markers, scissors, and glue.
Are paper bags biodegradable?
Paper bags are made from wood pulp or recycled paper and they’re generally biodegradable, which means they can break down naturally over time. The exact amount of time it takes for a paper bag to decompose depends on things like the type of paper and the presence of moisture and microorganisms. Paper bags are usually seen as a more eco-friendly option compared to plastic bags because they can be recycled and they’re biodegradable, but it’s important to remember that making paper bags still has an environmental impact due to the energy and resources it takes.
How to make a paper bag puppet person:
Follow the simple instructions in this article to make a paper bag puppet person. If you want to customize it to look like yourself or someone else you know, then consider these things when making your paper bag puppet:
- Cut out features that resemble the person from construction paper, craft paper or scrapbook paper.
- Use yarn or other materials like cotton for hair to mimic the hairstyle for your puppet person.
- Add details with markers and crayons – like glasses, hair accessories, facial features and more.
- Dress your puppet person with clothes made of fabric scraps, scrapbook paper or other scraps found around the house that the person you are making would wear!
More Homemade Puppet Ideas & Crafts from Kids Activities Blog
Another Paper Bag Puppet Tutorial from Kids Activities Blog Video
Host Your Own Puppet Show with Homemade Puppets
They can host their very own puppet show and all you need to start with is a simple paper bag. This is one of the many classic kids crafts that are part of the massive book, The Big Book of Kids Activities…
The Big Book of Kids Activities
Our newest book, The Big Book of Kids Activities has 500 projects that are the bestest, funnest ever! Written for kids ages 3-12 it is the compilation of bestselling kids activities books perfect for parents, grandparents and babysitters looking for new ways to entertain kids. This paper bag puppet craft is one of over 30 classic crafts that use materials you have on hand that are featured in this book!
–>Oh! And grab The Big Book of Kids Activities printable play calendar for a year’s worth of playful fun.
What did your paper bag puppet look like when you were done?